Medical Practice and Clinical Excellence
- Practices medicine which includes services such as primary care, hospitalist services and/or Occupational Medicine. Provides back up coverage for other providers (illness, vacation, etc.)
- Serves as physician supervisor for Advanced Practitioners (ARNP and PA).
- Reviews and assesses data related to clinical quality; makes recommendations to hospital administration and medical staff leadership.
- Functions as an active member of the Clarke County Hospital Medical Staff.
- Identifies emerging medical practice trends and technology; makes recommendations to Administration regarding same.
- Serves as a liaison with outside organizations regarding medical information, education and public relations.
- Provides oversight for Clarke County Hospital’s hospitalist program and the Advanced Practitioner that provides services.
- Serves as Medical Director for Rural Health Clinic, Anesthesia and Respiratory Therapy.
- Collaborative in making clinical decisions with the Chief Nursing Officer.
- Performs peer reviews.
- Supervises, evaluates, orients, coaches, mentors, and recruits providers.
- Provides oversite of provider schedule to ensure adequate provider staffing.
- Provides administrative oversite and approval of provider-related expenses and invoices.
- Is forward-thinking, creative, and innovative in developing new services and processes to improve both access to care and service to our patients.
- Demonstrates business acumen in human resources management, strategic planning, and marketing decisions to enhance patient care decisions.
- Evaluates outcomes and data in order to continuously improve operational processes, procedures and systems.
- Works with and has a strong relationship with Administration of the Hospital to improve the delivery of care to the community with a focus on engaging and inspiring providers on these improvements.
- Improves the quality of care from providers ensuring use of evidence based care and reducing variation in care.
- Produces cogent and persuasive written materials and presentations, integrating data to address nursing, health care and organizational issues.
- Articulates views in a manner that promotes effective decision making, partnerships and cohesive working relationships amongst the health care team.
- Serves as committee member of Medical Staff, Quality Improvement, Medication, Readmission and other provider involved committees.
- Facilitates Hospitalist Meetings and Physician Advisory Council.
- Integrates appropriate technology to meet the needs of patient care and enhanced patient and staff safety.
- Provides oversight of reporting managers in their management of all personnel related matters.
- Responsible for the administrative oversight of departments as assigned on the organizational chart.
- Is a peer member of the Administrative team with an understanding of the complexity of the overall organization.
- Is a member of the hospital’s senior team, sharing “Administrator On-Call” responsibilities. Requires 60 minute response time to on-call situations.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities; is open and objective to other’s views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to positive team goals; and puts the success of the team above own interests.
- Develops and implements action steps related to goals and strategic plan.
- Demonstrates the ability to meet the position’s work schedule, attending required meetings and functions as well as dedicating the time required to perform all the functions of the job.
- Serves as the role model for leaders and staff. Demonstrates exceptional customer service.
- Serves as the role model for all leaders in the timely and thorough completion of responsibilities and “must haves”.
- Maintains an open, honest, collaborative relationship with Administrative team, direct reports, employees, and the Medical Staff. Builds strong relationships with the Board of Trustees and community organizations.
Medical Staff Management
- Oversees Medical Staff involvement in clinical process improvement.
- Oversees Medical Staff Quality Initiatives and serves as one of the leaders in addressing opportunities to improve. Develops incentive goals for providers that compliment hospital goals.
- Serves as a liaison between Clarke County Hospital and Medical Staff, addressing opportunities related to quality outcomes and the efficient delivery of health care services.
- Fosters a positive, cohesive working relationship between medical staff and leaders of Clarke County Hospital.
- Oversees Medical Staff involvement with physician satisfaction surveys.
- Educates Medical Staff regarding administrative issues and current issues facing medicine.
- Provides ongoing evaluation and recommendations regarding opportunities to enhance the utilization of services by local physicians.
- Serves as a liaison with specialists providing services at Clarke County Hospital or potentially serving Clarke County.
- Facilitates best practice discussion and changes within EMR.
Basic Clarke County Hospital (CCH) Performance Criteria
- Demonstrates Clarke County Hospital Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to hospital policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
- Medical staff leader in addressing difficult patients/families.
- Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
- Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
- Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, DIA, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
- Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
- Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Education: Degree of Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine from an accredited and approved school of medicine
- Clinical practice experience
- Minimum of 5 years of clinical practice experience
License(s):Board certified physician
Certification(s): Current state license issued by the State of Iowa Board of Medicine
Knowledge: Demonstrated ability to gain medical staff support when developing, implementing and promoting projects, ventures and programs.
Skills: Relationship builder and effective communicator across the organization to include medical staff, senior management, clinical leaders, staff and patients.
- Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
- Visual and auditory acuity and good manual dexterity.
Licenses & Certifications - Preferred
- Doctor of Osteopathy
- Medical Doctor