Drug Product Design (Pharm Sci Small Molecules) is responsible for the development of small molecule dosage forms that support the clinical development of Pfizer drug candidates and their development to support robust transfer into Pfizer Global Supply. The Vice President DPD will lead an organization of 200-250 colleagues based primarily in Groton, CT, Sandwich, UK, Chennai IN, La Jolla CA & Cambridge MA.
- Overall accountability and leadership of an organization that delivers the science & technology to support manufacture of a range of formulation types, such as oral products (tablets & capsules), sterile injectables, topical & pediatric dosage forms.
- DPD is responsible for the Material Sciences function that selects the final polymorphic form of the API to support robust formulation and stability of API in our selected dosage forms and collaborates with CRD in designing the route of manufacture of final dosage form and ARD on control strategies.
- Nurtures a culture of innovation that advances scientific knowledge in the field, develops solutions to complex technical problems within and outside the area of main specialization, evaluation and implementation of new technologies and current concepts.
- Accountable for overall strategic direction for the scientific and technical advancement of the DPD line, annual objectives and budget setting for timely progression of the small molecule portfolio.
- Responsible for ensuring the right caliber of people are recruited and retained, career growth of the workforce, workforce diversity, mentors and develops staff scientifically and technically, with special emphasis on providing professional development guidance for senior scientists and senior leaders.
- Openly values, rewards and builds a strong quality and safety culture.
- Ensures robust GMP systems for the training of colleagues, maintenance of equipment, effective procedures, and scientific data integrity.
- Establishes strong relationships across all levels of the organization with key partners, customers, and stakeholders.
- Ensures that DPD fully supports and embraces key PSSM strategies including continuous manufacturing and digital innovation.
- Ensures that all colleagues are listened to, appreciated, and understand the importance of their role in delivering medicines to patients.
- Embodies the Pfizer values of Equity, Joy, Excellence, and Courage.
- At the request of MedSci Leadership may take on special projects or responsibilities for the benefit of PSSM and/or MedSci.
- PhD or advanced degree in Chemistry, Pharmacy or relevant science and 15+ years experience in biopharmaceutical industry.
- Demonstrated leadership and management of a diverse, multi-site organization of scientists and manage a complex portfolio.
- Extensive pharmaceutical sciences development experience with broad knowledge base of the pharmaceutical sciences.
- Experience managing significant resource pool and a track record of project/initiative delivery.
- Develop solutions to highly complex or unique problems, often outside own area of expertise.
- Coach colleagues, providing guidance and career development support in a variety of situations.
- Able to proactively identify and consult key stakeholders in strategic development and decision making.
- Able to prioritize and guide others on urgency and importance of tasks.
- Able to evaluate and synthesize information from a broad range of sources and implement sound business decisions based on the information.
- Ability to anticipate future trends and develop plans and strategies to capitalize/mitigate.
- Proven ability to influence outside own line expertise and responsibility.
- Strong and effective communication skills in a variety of settings, internal and external to the organization.
- Strong connections across industry and academia to ensure that that contemporary science & technology are being progressed.