The Senior R&D Engineer/Scientist is an integral part of the R&D team who focuses on product research and design, including improving current devices and therapy. This individual will also conduct research and development projects associated with innovative approaches to improving and advancing Barostim therapy. This position will also support field and clinical areas as needed.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, conduct, and report pre-clinical studies and possibly human feasibility studies.
- Analyze physiologic data and report key results.
- Develop intellectual property.
- Performs R&D support on both current and new product research and developmental projects. This includes identifying requirements, proposing designs, developing prototypes, as well as performing design development, testing, and verification activities as required.
- Document activities by writing documents, protocols, reports, memos, change requests. Methods used are determined by approved procedures and standards.
- Coordinate and/or perform analysis and troubleshooting of prototypes, products and equipment.
- Coordinate prototype builds and testing with internal or external shops, labs, and animal facilities.
- Interface with multiple disciplines/functional groups, including other R&D personnel, operations, quality, clinicals, regulatory, external suppliers, consultants, technical experts and other outside resources.
Education /Training/ Job-Related Experience
- Advanced degree in biomedical engineering with an emphasis in.
- 5+ years experience as a research scientist or R&D engineer in the medical device, technology, or product development environment or advanced degree in stated disciplines will be considered in place of experience.
- Experience with basic statistics.
- Solid understanding/knowledge of product development practices and procedures in the medical device industry.
- Experience in establishing team goals and coordinating the activities of the team.
- Self-motivated, works well with minimal supervision.
- Ability to generate, evaluate and implement new product and process concepts.
- Experience working in an operating room setting
- PhD in biomedical engineering with an emphasis in neurostimulation (cardiovascular, integrative, neurophysiology preferred) or equivalent experience (7+ years) in R&D of implantable neuro stimulation devices.
- Preferred specialties:
- Experience/knowledge in neural interfacing and electrode design for electrical stimulation of excitable tissue.
- Computational or systems modeling of physiological responses to stimulation.
- Research in the endovascular or cardiac therapy medical device industry.
- Signal processing of physiological signals and associated algorithm development.
- Experience/knowledge in electrochemical performance of chronically implanted electrode.
- Working knowledge of process validation methods and statistical techniques.
- Ability to provide work direction to other technical employees and consultants.
- Effective and efficient problem solving capability.
- Ability to conduct pre-clinical studies and/or human feasibility studies.
- Basic PC skills including Windows, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and MS Project.