SENIOR MEDICAL WRITER
The Structural Heart and Aortic Integrated Operating Unit offers minimally-invasive approaches to restore proper structure and function of the heart and the aorta. We focus on the transcatheter replacement or repair of the four heart valves—aortic, pulmonic, mitral, tricuspid—and the placement of stent grafts to treat aneurysms and dissections of the body’s largest artery, the aorta.
Join a diverse team of innovators who bring their worldview, their unique backgrounds, and their individual life experiences to work every day. It’s no accident —we work hard to cultivate a workforce that reflects our patients and partners. We believe it’s the only way to drive healthcare forward and remain a global leader in medical technology and solutions.
Preference is for this position to be based in Minnesota, however this position may be remote.
Careers that Change Lives
The publication team, a part of the SH&A Medical Evidence Team, is responsible for global evidence dissemination from Medtronic-sponsored clinical trials. The team supports the development of manuscripts, abstracts, and podium presentations. Medical writers in this role work closely with Principal Investigators and internal team members from the clinical study team, statistics, physician relations, and clinical leadership. The ideal candidate for this position is experienced in writing and editing manuscripts, with knowledge in structural heart disease, cardiology, and medical devices.
The Senior Medical Writer is responsible for the preparation of documents that support the presentation and publication needs of assigned therapeutic areas and/or products in the Structural Heart & Aortic Operating Unit.
This is a remote position and candidates can be located anywhere in the United States.
Ability to travel up to 25%.
A Day in the Life
Responsibilities may include the following and other duties may be assigned.
- Writes, edits, and formats manuscripts and abstracts in collaboration with lead authors
- Prepares abstracts for medical conferences in collaboration with lead authors based on data from Medtronic-sponsored clinical trials
- Drafts slide presentations (oral or poster) for accepted abstracts in collaboration with lead authors
- Compiles, analyzes, and summarizes data for each writing project
- Conducts literature searches as needed for new publications
- Develops an in-depth knowledge of key therapy and product areas, stays abreast of current literature
- Collaborates with physicians, clinical and statistics teams to plan and identify appropriate analysis plans
- Participates in Publication Committee meetings and generates meeting minutes to document decisions
Must Have: Minimum Requirements
- Bachelors degree required
- Minimum of 4 years of clinical/ medical/ scientific writing experience, or advanced degree with a minimum of 2 years clinical/ medical/ scientific writing experience
Nice to Have
- PhD, MD, or PharmD degree
- Working knowledge of cardiovascular or structural heart disease device therapies
- Experience writing publications within a medical device company or related industry
- Excellent writing skills (CMPP, BELS, AMWA, MWC certification a plus)
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience conducting literature searches and literature reviews
- Clinical trial experience
- Strong team player and the ability to adapt to competing priorities
- Experience working with physicians/key opinion leaders in an industry or clinical setting
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and communication skills
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers. Contact your manager or local HR to understand the Work Conditions and Physical requirements that may be specific to each role. (ADA-United States of America)
A commitment to our employees lives at the core of our values. We recognize their contributions. They share in the success they help to create. We offer a wide range of benefits, resources, and competitive compensation plans designed to support you at every career and life stage.