The Senior Medical Director (SMD) is a key member of the Market Leadership and Management Team who shares responsibility for decision-making and outcomes in the market with the other members of the market team. The SMD is responsible for improving the quality and efficiency of medical care in his/her market(s) and leading the provider network (both employed and contracted). The Senior Medical Director is also responsible for mentoring all assigned Medical Directors in their leadership development.
- Oversees and manages the Market Leadership team and ensures assigned market deliverables are implemented in an effective and timely manner.
- Develops and maintains a collegial relationship with physicians (employed and contracted) in order to support the business efforts of the organization
- Implement market-specific initiatives and ensures that processes and procedures are aligned with the business model
- Drives improvement of quality indicators in the assigned markets by identifying, directing, and executing continuous quality improvement activities or processes
- Oversees and manages the assigned Medical Directors, as well as provides leadership and mentoring in the establishment of departmental objectives related to staffing plans, financial goals, etc.
- Mentors all Medical Directors and help develop them as a leader within the market management and leadership team.
- Perform annual evaluations of assigned Medical Directors, Associate Medical Director, and other providers as directed
- Participate in Committees, as needed
- Collaborates with Market Operations and Provider Relations staff in the market(s)
- Assists in the identification of potential physician practice acquisitions in assigned market
- Partnering with the Clinical Affordability team to support new innovative approaches to making healthcare more efficient and meaningful to PCPs and patients alike, ultimately bending the cost curve in the region
- Developing and cascading clinical outcome/improvement messaging to business units to foster a tighter working culture
- Helping set agendas/strategies and leading multifaceted teams of Physician Business Managers, Risk Adjustment RNs, and Quality RNs
- Assist in driving aligned performance is largely an independently contracted provider network through the development of meaningful relationships, financial and quality incentives, best practices, and forward-thinking solutions to improve our value proposition to medical providers.
- Assist in the identification and development of current/new best practices in support of continuous financial and quality improvement
- Serve as an integral dyad partner interfacing with Corporate level support divisions, including Quality, Risk Adjustment, Cost and Care, and Patient Support Unit (PSU)
- Performs all other related duties as assigned
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you a clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role, as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) or Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.)
- Current board certification
- Active, unrestricted medical license in applicable state(s), or ability to obtain licenses rapidly
- Valid DEA
- 5+ years of clinical experience, including 3+ years of experience as a Medical Director
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters, when applicable, before employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
- 3+ years of managed care experience
- 3+ years of experience as a Medical Director
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) fluency
Physical & Mental Requirements:
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
- Ability to push or pull heavy objects using up to 50 pounds of force
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use fine motor skills to operate office equipment and/or machinery
- Ability to receive and comprehend instructions verbally and/or in writing
- Ability to use logical reasoning for simple and complex problem solving