A postdoctoral scientist position is immediately available in Dr. Mingtao Zhao’s laboratory in the Center for Cardiovascular Research at the Nationwide Children’s Hospital and The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio. The Zhao lab is using patient-derived induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs), CRISPR/Cas9 genome editing, organoids, and single-cell genomics to study the molecular and genetic mechanisms of cardiovascular development and congenital heart disease (Circ Res 2023, PMID: 36583388; Stem Cell Res 2023, PMID: 36599283; Stem Cells 2020, PMID: 32232889; PNAS 2017, PMID: 29203658; Circ Res 2017, PMID: 29030344). The goal of the Zhao lab is to elucidate the cause-consequence relationship of a given genetic variant in the contribution of cardiovascular disease using patient-specific iPSCs that retain all genetic information of the affected patients. The Zhao lab is currently funded by the NIH/NHLBI, Additional Ventures, AHA, and Abigail Wexner Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital.
- This is a great opportunity for young investigators who aim to establish an independent academic career in the next few years.
- Successful candidates should have a PhD/MD or equivalent degree (< 3 years after graduation) and should have expertise in cardiac physiology, cardiovascular development, genomics, or organoid biology.
- Candidates who have additional expertise in bioinformatics or CRISPR/Cas9 genome editing or tissue engineering would be preferred. Individuals who are underrepresented in the biomedical research are encouraged to apply.
- Candidates will have an opportunity to be funded by an NIH T32 training award. Competitive salary and relocation bonus may be offered for well-qualified candidates.
What Will You Be Doing?
- Performing cardiac differentiation and organoid induction.
- Design and conduct scientific experiments to obtain data.
- Write and publish scientific manuscripts.
- Contribute to grant submissions for external funding.
- Obtain postdoctoral fellowship and career development award from the AHA and/or NIH.
What Are We Looking For?
To fulfill this role successfully, you must possess these minimum qualifications and experience:
- PhD or equivalent doctorate in Cell/Molecular/Developmental Biology, Cardiovascular Physiology, Genomics or related field.
- Desire to pursue a career in biomedical research.
- Knowledge of the research process.
- Necessary technical skills in the appropriate area of research.
- Ability to do technical writing and good communication skills.