- Medical Degree (M.D.) from an accredited medical school
- Residency training with board certification/board eligible status or equivalent training/experience at a health plan, medical consulting firm, government organization, or similar industry organization
- Understanding of medical coding systems (CPT, ICD-9, DRG, etc.)
- Strong knowledge related to healthcare payment innovation e.g., Episode-based payment models, PCMH, ACO, Health Homes, Capitation models
- Understanding of medically-related analytics
- Passionate about making healthcare better via technology and willingness to learn and understand sophisticated advance analytics techniques – AI/ML/NLP
- Experience with healthcare data (e.g., claims, EHR, outcomes data) and analytics methodologies (e.g. advanced excel, SQL, python, R, statistical packages)
- Knowledge of health policy and operational clinical medicine
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently and deliver quality end-products in an entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to be a strong team player in a dynamic and changing environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
WHO YOU'LL WORK WITH
You’ll work with McKinsey’s Healthcare Practice, a group of approximately 600 colleagues, including more than 100 physicians, across North America.
We are dedicated to improving healthcare for the communities that our clients serve—this has long been part of our stated mission. You will also work with a diverse group over 1,500 data scientists, mathematicians, designers, software engineers, data engineers, and product developers to bring the best thinking, technology, and impact to our clients.
You will also work with a range of clients – (including but not limited to) leaders at leading payors, providers, and health services technology organizations in the public and private sectors to tackle today’s biggest healthcare challenges.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
You will participate in client engagements focused on healthcare value, including the development of clinical policy improvement solutions and innovative payment models with the ultimate goal of making healthcare better, more affordable and more accessible for millions of people around the world.
In this role, you will participate in and, in some cases, lead the development of clinically-oriented analytic tools, advise teams on evidence-based medicine, clinical practice, and healthcare policies. You will also represent the Healthcare Practice, together with other senior McKinsey colleagues, in public-facing forums including conferences and expert panels and engage in authorship of the Healthcare Practice’s related articles for peer-review and other external publications.
Additionally, you will work with our technology and product delivery teams to pressure-test clinical "sanity" of models and algorithms run on our Big Data Platform. You will contribute strongly to the clinical aspects of major IP development projects, contributing to our overall knowledge and capabilities (e.g., evaluation and set-up of a new claim grouper; evaluation, purchase and deployment of a new third-party data set; and provide support in ensuring the clinical integrity of all our products; and reviews and endorses the clinical content of our intellectual property (working with the Clinical Center of Excellence).