The Medical Director is responsible for assisting leaders with planning, directing, organizing, monitoring and staffing the department subject to policies, budgets, objectives and directives mandated by regulatory agencies, DNV and the hospital administrative team. Provides physician leadership to the medical staff, the hospital’s administrative leadership team, and to clinical and non-clinical staff within their area of specialty. Partners with leadership and others to develop and sustain a safe, patient-centric, physician-friendly, efficient and high-quality healthcare environment. Leads and engages with other administrative and physician leaders in developing a long-term strategy for the department and then implements this vision including the operational effectiveness, appropriate workforce staffing and recruiting and the overall effectiveness of the care system.
- Completion of residency from an accredited institution
- Montana Licensure (MD or DO or PhD needed for applicable specialty)
- Board certification in applicable specialty
- Eligible for active clinical staff privileges at a Bozeman Health
- Minimum 2 years of post-residency experience in specialty
- Active Good Clinical Practices (GCP) and Human Subjects Research (HSR) certifications through CITI or similarly qualified training program within 30 days of hire.
- Preferred: Prior experience managing physicians
- Preferred: Prior experience as Principal Investigator on Phase I-IV Randomized, Controlled, Clinical Trials
Essential Job Functions:
- Assists leaders with broad operations to ensure the provision of comprehensive departmental services in compliance with all regulatory agencies and hospital requirements.
- Assists leaders to ensure a collaborative departmental approach to operational planning, care/service design and development of organizational policies, which reflect the mission of the organization.
- Coordinates and assists with oversight of departmental services. Continuously assesses, measures and improves departmental performance.
- Demonstrates responsible management of all departmental resources.
- Demonstrates clinical/technical and managerial competency.
- Leads, teaches, inspires, helps and consistently demonstrates hospital behavioral standards
- Serves as Clinical Research Department’s “in house” Principal Investigator (PI) for current ongoing studies and on future trials when PI is not available through other BH medical specialty departments.
- Develops, grows, and maintains collaborative relationships with Montana State University research teams, Bozeman Health medical specialty providers, and other community partners to source new study opportunities.
- Engage in community education/outreach on behalf of Bozeman Health/Bozeman Health Clinical Research
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong leadership managerial skills; ability to plan, delegate, monitor and improve work performance
- Demonstrates sound judgement, patience, and maintains a professional demeanor at all times
- Ability to work in a busy and stressful environment
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Creativity, problem analysis and decision making
- Exercises tact, discretion, sensitivity and maintains confidentiality
- Detail oriented, organizational skills and the ability to prioritize
- Standard office equipment and computer applications; MS Office, EMR, internet applications etc.
- Ability to work varied shifts
- Familiarity with the process of clinical trial startup, conduct, and closeout including ICH/FDA regulatory guidelines and IRB processes.