At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
You will be joining our globally-renowned Oncology area, which is currently leading the rapid business growth of our enterprise and ever-evolving industry. It is an exciting time to join as we work towards our big ambitions using entrepreneurial thinking and innovation. It is up to us to find solutions and act fast to make them a reality. Science is at the core of our decision making. It is how we achieve our ambitions for patients: fusing science with strategy, embracing new opportunities, and cultivating innovation by seeking expertise in real world evidence and data.
To accompany AstraZeneca’s continued commitment to improving the lives of persons with Breast Cancer, we are pleased to present a new and unique role. This senior role is a critical position with high visibility and impact, providing the individual the opportunity to unleash the full potential of Medical Affairs on a Global scale. Reporting to the Vice President, Global Franchise Head, this senior position is accountable for the strategic direction, and matrix leadership of the Global Medical Affairs (GMA) Breast Cancer Plan, integrating innovative strategies that drives towards improved patient care.
The post holder will be responsible for the alignment, coordination, and implementation of the overall GMA pan-Breast Cancer strategic initiatives that sit above the Breast Cancer brands. As a core member of the Global Medical Breast Cancer Strategy Team you will work in a cross-functional environment with senior stakeholders to positively influence the direction and priorities of the AZ Breast Cancer Strategy. As the post holder represents the GMA function, you will proactively engage Global Medical Teams and Stakeholders to ensure GMA alignment and consistency of delivery against the Breast Cancer Strategy. You will also be a strong representation of GMA within the cross-functional Oncology Global Product and Oncology Global Commercial Brand Teams, as well as within collaborative clinical research programmes.
Your focus will also include strengthening and expanding our external engagement strategy and partnerships with the clinical community through consolidation of our real-world evidence and collaborative research programmes. Ultimately, playing a leading role in defining and transforming future breast cancer care models to improve patient lives.
Roles and Responsibilities
- The leadership and development of the strategic direction and deliverables across all areas of Medical Affairs in support of the Breast Cancer strategy.
- Congress plans, including KEE engagement, symposia, IME/CME, communications including Q&A.
- Evidence generation including RWE, diagnostics, and translational work.
- Digital innovations.
- Delivering the above brands Breast Cancer Scientific Narrative.
- Development of the platform for external collaboration and engagement as part of the comprehensive external engagement Breast Cancer strategy.
- Collaboratively with the Breast Cancer Franchise Head and Breast Cancer Development Head in the design and implementation of the integrated Breast Cancer strategy
- With the Alliance team to harness synergies in having an external impact through the Alliance and AZ strategy execution
- With internal and external stakeholders to enhance the scientific and clinical understanding of Breast Cancer.
- Lead Pan Breast Cancer Strategy team and execute Pan BC initiatives.
- Serve as the Medical Affairs lead on the Breast Strategy Council , bringing the voice of the patient and physician into the development and commercialisation process.
- Ensure that medical insights from key countries are used to inform all evidence, product development, and franchise strategy deliverables.
- Maintain a good working knowledge of company standards on medicines promotion and supports the Nominated Signatories in ensuring product related materials and activities for external audiences comply with these standards.
- Initiate and develop relationships with internal and external stakeholders to enhance the scientific and clinical understanding of the AZ Breast cancer strategy.
- Develop, gain approval for, and manage the annual budget required to deliver the objectives for assigned brand(s) in line with defined processes and policies.
- Act as an expert author to the Late-Stage Target Product Profiles (TPPs), starting 9-12 months before Phase III ID (investment decision) bringing insights from providers, patients, and policy makers, knowledge of the patient journey, treatment impact and translation of efficacy to effectiveness.
- Advanced scientific degree (MD, PhD, PharmD).
- Extensive Medical Affairs and product launch experience including deep Breast cancer experience.
- Strong understanding of drug development and the commercialization processes including launch experience.
- A track record of building and maintaining a deep continued connection to medical practice/healthcare delivery.
- Collaborative/matrix management skills with a focus on leading diverse groups (e.g., cultural, geographical, functional) to achieve excellent results in shared goals.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to distil complexity down to what matters to our stakeholders (Fluency in English – essential).
- Proven ability to generate, analyse and interpret clinical trial and published data.
- The candidate is expected to have strong project management skills and ability to work effectively cross-functional/cross-Franchise globally including development, marketing, diagnostics, and health outcomes.
- Strong Financial/Budget Management and business acumen.
- Extensive knowledge of the latest technical, regulatory, policy and patient–centric developments.
- Experience in Evidence generation planning and clinical trial design.
- Extensive experience in relationship and stakeholder management (3P’s: Payer, Provider and Patients).
- Effective matrix leadership experience.
- Experience working at the medical marketing interface.