The Health Information Management (HIM) Manager oversees the HIM department including personnel and resources which support proper maintenance of all Ambulatory Surgery Center records. Responsible for planning, developing and administering processes consistent with accreditation and regulatory standards and facility policies. Manager supervises and maintains patient medical records and monitors staff documentation requirements.
Essential Job Functions
- Directs and coordinates activities of HIM department staff related to all Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) entities (currently Vail Valley Surgery Center, Dillon Surgery Center and Steadman Philippon Surgery Center).
- Develops department goals and objectives and establishes and implements policies and procedures for department operations. Selects, trains, and orients department staff.
- Assists with Medical Staff orientation to medical record systems, policies and procedures. Provides feedback on the quality and completeness of their medical record documentation.
- Works closely with clinical, administrative, IT, and facilities management to establish and maintain an organization wide records retention policy and scanning solution that supports the retention policies and facilitates access to administrative and clinical records in a timely fashion. Directs the organization's scanning function (in-house and outsourced vendors).
- Manages projects, including implementation or upgrades of computer software.
- Responsible for ensuring centers maintain, protect, and release patient medical records in accordance with policies and procedures, federal, state, and local laws, regulations and standards.
- Role models the principles of a Just Culture and Organizational Values.
- Perform other duties as assigned. Must be HIPAA compliant.
This description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
- Must have 4 years of accounting experience.
- Previous healthcare revenue cycle or health information management experience preferred.
- Previous supervisory experience preferred.
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) required.
Computer / Typing
- Must have strong/advanced Excel skills.
- Knowledge of McKesson GL and MM systems helpful.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain within 90 days, the computers skills necessary to complete online learning requirements for job-specific competencies, access online forms and policies, complete online benefits enrollment, etc
Must have working knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing, and speaking English.
- College degree with emphasis in accounting, finance or healthcare management required.
Benefits at Vail Health
- Competitive Wages & Family Benefits: Competitive wages, parental leave, housing programs and childcare reimbursement to support the cost of living in a mountain community.
- Comprehensive Health Benefits: Top-quality health care package including vision, dental and medical with options of flexible spending and health savings accounts.
- Education Assistance: We are proud to offer tuition and student loan assistance programs.
- Paid Time Off: Roughly five weeks in your first year of employment and continues to grow each year.
- Retirement & Supplemental Insurance: 403(b) Retirement plan with matching potential, life insurance, short and long-term disability, and more.
- Recreation Benefits, Wellness & More: Recreation discounts, pet insurance and a $1,000 annual wellness reimbursement program.