Why Hearst Magazines?
Hearst Magazines is one of the largest publishers in the world, with more than 25 brands, including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Harper’s BAZAAR, Popular Mechanics, and Oprah Daily. We reach more than 150 million people every month in the United States alone.
But we’re more than just our magazines. We engage our audience across all mediums and channels—print, digital, video, and social—with sophisticated content creation, distribution, and data capabilities. We create, package, and sell products with cutting-edge technology and proprietary platforms. Together, we are reinventing publishing for the 21st century.
HearstMade is the in-house branded content studio for all of Hearst Magazines. Through a combination of data-driven insight and editorial instinct, we create stories that not only get attention but drive action. We are looking for a well-rounded Health and Fitness Editor to join our team of editors, designers, photo and video producers and talent bookers in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment.
Please note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work.
The Health and Fitness Editor will work on branded health and fitness content programs from pre-sale brainstorms through post-sale execution, conceptualizing, packaging, and writing or editing custom co-branded content.
This person will work closely with site directors and social editors to ensure content feels authentic, engaging, and in-line with each site’s editorial voice; as well as with project management, sales, and marketing teams to ensure we are delivering content that satisfies the clients’ needs. The content must be as exciting, engaging, and as well-executed as pure edit.
What You’ll Do
- You will assist the marketing team in conceiving of and refining ideas for branded content programs. These ideas must feel organic to each brand and fall within the parameters of what the client seeks
- You will be the creative owner of campaigns from ideation to execution
- You will assign and edit health explainers, wellness product round-ups, patient/athlete profiles, and more
- You will keep multiple, concurrent campaigns on deadline
- You will collaborate with photo, video, and design departments to ensure each piece of content is cohesive, high-touch, and well-packaged
- You will partner with other internal teams (including editorial, marketing, and project management) to move complex, custom-content projects forward
- You will create and deliver content that best serves a client’s mandate while remaining in-line with editorial best practices
- You will assist video producers in writing video scripts and graphics to ensure a cohesive voice across the program
Who you are
- You have at least 5 years of post-grad editorial experience with a majority in the health space; prior branded content and/or fact checking experience preferred, but not required
- You’re a strong editor and excellent at producing serviceable health and fitness stories
- You know how to analyze studies and translate medical jargon into understandable content
- You have great relationships with freelance writers and reporters in the health and fitness space
- You know how to package a story and understand how important visual elements are
- You are a strong writer and an ideas machine
- You are a bridge-builder, working with teams that have uniquely different experiences together to build great digital products
- Pre- and post-sale client-partner campaigns and/or marketing work: responding to RFPs, pitching ideas, assigning stories, shepherding art and creative development, assisting with production, working with project managers, etc
- Some production background: collaborating with creative leads on photo and video shoots
- Building content in a publishing CMS.
- Some familiarity with ecomm best practices and trends