The Community Health Worker I reports to the CHW Supervisor. Activities for this position will include, but not be limited to: screening and enrollment for eligible community programs; patient mentorship; patient education; patient follow-up and reinforcement of treatment plan tasks; coordination of appointments and transportation; and patient engagement. The CHW I will foster cohesive relationships with staff and clinical teams, with community partners and with colleagues in the Office of Population Health. This position will work with an interdisciplinary team of physicians, nurses, care managers, social workers and other community health workers to improve health outcomes. The CHW I will be active in community engagement activities to include working with community organizations and assisting with community-based activities. May direct the tasks of volunteers. The CHW I must have reliable daily transportation for work related travel (to and from community site, patient homes, meetings, clinics, etc.). If using personal vehicle for work related travel, the CHW must have appropriate license and insurance.
- Maryland state CHW certification program - preferred.
- New employees must complete all required training within 30 days of hire unless otherwise noted.
- Requires working knowledge of social and health issues.
- Familiarity with medical terminology beneficial.
- Work requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills to efficiently work with diverse groups of community members and to coordinate with team members.
- Work requires some critical thinking skills to effectively assess social/health needs of members and to arrange for appropriate services required to meet those needs.
- Must be able to recognize situations that require professional or clinical intervention.
- Work requires excellent organizational skills, flexibility, and the ability to get things done.
- Must be compassionate and sensitive to diverse situations, results-oriented, a self-starter and capable of making appropriate decisions independently.
- Must be able to enter data on a computer. Must have attitude and skills that facilitate patient engagement in their health care.
- Must have a basic level of customer service responsiveness with telephonic experience.
- Requires the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with both internal and external customers.
- Requires analytical skills to effectively address and evaluate the health education needs of customers. Demonstrates ability to work independently and efficiently.