Responsible for supporting clinical research as coordinator for multiple research studies and clinical trials within inpatient and outpatient care units. Serves in an expanded role to assess the appropriateness of patients for clinical research protocols. Under the direction of the physician, sees patients in the clinic and hospital to collect data required for the research protocols.
- Coordinates and implements clinical research studies.
- Prepares submissions for Institutional Research Review Board consideration and provides oversight for all reporting obligations.
- Responsible for the conduct of the clinical trial, including but not limited to recruitment, screening, enrollment, and follow-up of eligible subjects according to protocol requirements.
- Develops and implements subject recruitment plans including interviewing subjects, collaborating with physicians, screening, and enrolling.
- Performs nursing physical and psychosocial assessments of research patients in the outpatient and inpatient areas of the hospital.
- Monitors research patients in outpatient and inpatient settings for adverse experiences and compliance with study protocols.
- Administers and monitors study drugs as directed by the investigator and clinician.
- Performs triage nursing assessments of subjects as needed.
- Reviews medical records of patients, interviews patients and collaborates with investigators and clinicians to assess the appropriateness of patients for clinical trial enrollment.
- Develops study-specific training tools and procedures to orient patient care staff about research interventions and protocols.
- Monitors lab results and reports all findings to the principal investigator.
- Informs principal investigator of all relevant patient care issues and activities within the research study.
- Collaborates with nursing staff and research personnel to incorporate all details of the research protocol.
- Insures appropriate billing charge documents are submitted.
- Educates staff, as needed, to ensure proper billing for study-related procedures in outpatient and inpatient areas.
- Reviews monthly study-specific financial statements for accuracy and budget adherence.
- Provides education to subjects and families on specific research protocols, potential risks, benefits, and reporting of health events.
- Serves as a liaison between the principal investigator and the study sponsor for adapting a multi-center protocol to the specific local environment.
Work is typically performed in an office environment. Accountable for satisfying all job-specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
Associate's Degree-Healthcare Related Degree (Required), Bachelor's Degree-Nursing (Preferred)
Minimum of 3 years-Clinical (Required)
Certification(s) and License(s)
Licensed Registered Nurse (Pennsylvania) - RN_State of Pennsylvania
Research Regulatory Environment; Team Player; Multi-Tasking Skills; Communication Skills; Organizational Skills
Our Purpose & Values
Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full-time and part-time positions from day one, including vision, dental and domestic partners.* Perhaps just as important, from senior management on down, we encourage an atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation, and collegiality.
We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status.