The Clinical Laboratory Scientist performs a variety of standardized urinalysis tests in a toxicology laboratory for the detection of prescription and illicit drugs using advanced LC-MS-MS technology; approves reports and patient results to ordering physicians.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The following are intended to be examples of the accountabilities for which the person in this position is responsible. This position is not intended to be complete or all-inclusive and does not preclude management from assigning other or related functions for which the individual has demonstrated competency through performance.
- Responsible for testing and reporting laboratory test results for all test methods approved by CAP, NY and CLIA.
- Ensures accuracy and quality of test results meeting required turnaround times.
- Enters testing data and performs a variety of standardized tests on urine samples using advanced LC-MS-MS technology for the detection of prescription and illicit drugs.
- Evaluates the validity of results obtained, maintains proper records of results and creates a report of results.
- Maintains quality control and LC-MS-MS chromatographic data prior to release or results to physicians.
- Ensures that testing methods follow established quality control procedures; and assists with the preparation of chromatographic data reports prior to release to physicians.
- Identifies, troubleshoots, documents and resolves problems with test results.
- Documents issues using the Laboratory Occurrence Management (LOM) form.
- Acts as a resource and trainer to laboratory technicians and assistants.
- Prepares and maintains reagents and supplies; performs maintenance on laboratory equipment and maintains laboratory in a clean and orderly condition.
- Follows safe laboratory practices and participates in operational support activities necessary to maintain and optimize testing capabilities.
- May oversee the duties of clinical laboratory technicians and assistants who prepare specimens and perform other less complex procedures.
- The laboratory is actively involved in research and encourages Clinical Laboratory Scientist to participate in research projects.
- Participates in internal laboratory audits.
- Required to follow all safety procedures, policies, precautions, and Quality Assurance.
- Other duties as assigned.
Remains aware of evolving needs and opportunities, showing flexibility in doing whatever is appropriate to support the Company’s success. Pursues educational opportunities to maintain advanced and up-to-date knowledge in the field. Performs all other related duties as required and assigned and understands that the items in this description are not all-inclusive.
- Bachelor’s degree with current California CLS license.
- ASCP license highly preferred.
- 0-4 years’ experience in high complexity testing; CLIA/CAP environment.
- Must maintain continuing education units required by California Department of Health Services.
- Knowledgeable in laboratory methods and techniques.
- Knowledgeable of equipment and supplies used in a laboratory.
- Proficient in MS applications (Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Outlook).
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with all levels of employees.
- Effective attention to detail with high degree of accuracy.