The Chief Medical Officer (CMO) provides service to the medical staff and hospital leadership for the RHM in order to assist them in fulfilling their mission, plans and objectives which includes their responsibilities to the patient and the community for the provision of quality and cost effective care. This position has impact on the quality and financial outcomes of clinical and operational departments throughout the RHM.
In all roles and activities it is anticipated that the CMO will network and build consensus, collaborate, and problem solve. This position will play a key role in the implementation of strategic and operating plans as well as service line development, in particular the strategies for physician relationships and service line development. These activities and initiatives shall be accomplished through the existing and revised formal medical staff structures/committees, Medical Group/Health Network and voluntary medical staff multi-facility physician task forces, committees as well as the CEO and Executive Team meetings and informative relationships.
- Articulate and clear in all communications with others.
- Committed to the Mission, Values and Vision of Trinity Health and demonstrates this commitment through actions.
- Collaborative in nature, willing to take on leadership role, approachable, facilitative with all.
- Creative and positive in finding solutions to the day to day as well as the global issues faced by the RHM.
- Mature in all actions. Seeks higher ground in all interactions particularly conflict.
- Creates relationships that are useful to influence and create change.
Areas of Expertise
- Medical Care
- Quality and Process Improvement
- Physician Relationships
- Hospital Management and operations
- Utilization review/physician advisor
- Independent in judgment and actions that impact the outcomes of patient care or will affect operations of large departments and/or the operation of the RHM as a whole.
- Operates freely to identify opportunities for improvement and implement needed changes. These decisions are clinical, qualitative, and financial in nature and determine the appropriate course of action.
- All decisions are founded on professional practice standards, RHM policy or regulatory agency standards and requirements.
- Provides an effective bridge between RHM management staff and facilities medical staffs to create superior relationships with physicians and to secure physician input into major decisions.
- Responsible to the regional CEO and chief clinical officer in a matrixed relationship for centralized medical staff functions such as quality, safety and utilization review and to the RMH President and other members of the Executive Team for medical directorships and operational activities related to the medical staff at RHM and all physician relationship activities.
- Supports the formal medical staff function at all facilities. May chair committees as is appropriate. Works closely with the facility President and Medical Staff President. Holds self out as a resource in dealing with difficult medical staff decisions.
- Assists in the development and implementation of the physician Continuous Quality Improvement process throughout the RHM, provides for the functioning and effectiveness of quality improvement systems to include internal and external operating systems that affect the delivery of physician care within the RHM. Sets a universal standard for the delivery of patient care. Is the leader in the setting of goals and improvement plans for all Trinity Health quality standards.
- Participates and assists in the development of plans and implementation in all service line and patient care competency development. Is a resource and influencer in the accomplishment of needed goals and strategies.
- Promotes all programs and services to referring physicians. Educates physicians and office personnel on all aspects of the RHM. Is a resource and problem solver when service issues arise.
- Working with the President of the facility medical staff, provides leadership development opportunities. Sets goals and objectives for development of key medical staff for the RHM as a whole. Is a role model for changing behavior and creates opportunities for better understanding by medical leadership of business and strategic operations of the RHM.
- Works directly with the Senior Vice President, Chief Medical Officer at Trinity Health in bridging the clinical arena of the RHM to the development of Trinity Health standards of performance and Trinity Health policy.
- Creates unity among the facility medical staffs and where appropriate seeks ways to collaborate and combine operations to effect greater team work.
- Supervises and manages the medical affairs division to ensure achievement of objectives in a cost effective manner and to ensure the continued improvement of physician/physician, and physician/administration and physician/community relationships.
- Participates with the Senior Leadership Team of the RHM in all Managed Care strategies and negotiations.
- Participates in Senior Leadership Council meetings and is a member of Executive Leadership.
- Provides leadership to all of the RHM management teams. Is a resource to them for problem solving and physician input.
- Maintains professional growth and development. Keeps up on changing trends in the healthcare business. Is a leader in providing new learning in all areas of influence.
- Graduate from an accredited medical school and completed an accredited residency program in a medical specialty.
- Board certification in field of specialty and agree to maintain such Board Certification through tenure of employment. Board certification is required in an ABMS Board.
- Graduate from an accredited university with a Master's in Business Administration, a Masters in Healthcare Administration or related field is preferred.
- Ability to work in a complex matrix reporting environment.
- Proven leader with minimum of 10 years in clinical practice, 5 years leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and implement quality improvement initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to lead medical staff quality initiatives.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, in order to effectively discuss quality issues and performance and to foster culture of the RHM and Trinity Health.
- Strong leadership/influencing skills are required with the ability to work effectively within a RHM and influence others and achieve results.
- Advanced interpersonal, management and organizational skills are necessary.
- A personal presence which is characterized by a sense of honesty, integrity and caring with the ability to inspire and motivate others to promote the philosophy, mission, vision, goals, values and guiding behaviors of Trinity Health.
Physical and Mental Requirements and working conditions
- Must be able to set and organize own work priorities, and adapt to them as they change frequently. Must be able to work concurrently on a variety of tasks/projects in an environment that may be stressful with individuals having diverse personalities and work styles.
- Operates in a typical office environment. The area is well-lit, temperature controlled and free from hazards.
- Communicates frequently, in person and over the phone, with people in all locations. Hearing is needed for extensive telephone and in person communication. Manual dexterity is needed in order to operate a computer keyboard.
- Must be able to travel to the various Trinity Health sites as needed.
- Must possess the ability to comply with Trinity Health policies and procedures.