Manulife Financial Corporation ("Manulife") is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. The company provides financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions.
The company is a Top 10 global life insurance company and a Top 20 global asset manager. The company operates primarily as John Hancock in the United States and as Manulife elsewhere. With its global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, Manulife trades as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Passionate about delighting its customers, creating value for its shareholders and building a world-class culture, Manulife’s President & CEO Roy Gori, and the leadership team have established a bold ambition to transform Manulife into the most customer-centric, digital leader in the industry, setting out detailed plans against five strategic priorities to achieve this ambition.
For more details about our Mission, Strategic Priorities and Values, please follow the link below:
The Role: Chief Medical Director
John Hancock (a division of Manulife Financial) is a top seller of Insurance in North America, providing Life Insurance solutions through multiple distribution channels and markets including the affluent and emerging affluent target markets.
As a licensed MD with minimum experience of 10-15 years of clinical practice in internal medicine or any sub-specialties or insurance medicine experience, sound understanding of an insurance company’s various business operations, and expert knowledge of medical science, technology and their impact on mortality, the Chief Medical Officer role plays a key leadership role in the development and maintenance of the company’s proprietary medical underwriting guidelines and approaches.
Reporting to the Chief Underwriter and Underwriting Transformation Officer, this position will contribute to the strategy of identifying and implementing innovative enhancements and efficiencies to our underwriting approach by using analytics, as well as advances in medical science and technology – delivering a more simplified purchase process for the customer and more favorable overall results for the company.
In addition to a focus on the US marketplace, the Chief Medical Officer will be responsible at times for researching medical conditions of importance to insurance underwriting and consulting and collaborating with pricing and other members of the global offices of Manulife to implement enhancements to our global proprietary guidelines and approaches.
The Chief Medical Officer also leads a team of Medical Directors across business sites and provides medical consultations on new business and claims cases, interprets EKGs, blood work and other test results, handles sensitive communications relating to a customer’s medical condition, conducts research and development to keep the division at the forefront of underwriting and delivers educational programs to the underwriting department and client firms.
- Lead a team of MDs across sites to maintain exemplary service standards and quality of work provided on case consultations to the Life Underwriters who hold a variety of approval limits, including large multi-million lines of coverage
- Maintaining an industry presence, building and maintaining networks and relationships with internal and external partners and keeping informed of developing medical and technical advancements as well as an awareness of industry rules and regulations that may affect underwriting. Active participation in industry committees and working groups (ex. AIM Committee)
- Ensuring company remains at the forefront of underwriting by actively monitoring and reviewing changing medical science and translating its applicability to insurance medicine, conducting research, drawing conclusions and making recommendations appropriate for underwriting
- Responsible for enhancing and maintaining the medical content of the proprietary underwriting manual MUM (Manulife Underwriting Manual). Must be able to translate complex medical research into underwriting guidelines.
- Consulting and providing input/content for underwriting-related marketing, educational and promotional materials
- Providing education to both in-house and field personnel
- Consulting with Underwriting audit team on case assessments
- Acting as main liaison with reinsurance Medical Directors
- Liaison for MIB and Medical Labs – handling sensitive customer communications
- Providing medical support for the International divisions and corporate Chief underwriter
- Work closely with Medical Doctors, Actuaries, Data Analysts and Chief Underwriters across the company to draw conclusions and develop Manulife’s approach
- MD, 10-15 years of insurance medicine experience
- Board certified in insurance medicine
- FLMI, FLHC/ALHC, FALU/AALU and/or CLU would be assets
Skills and Competencies:
- Extensive knowledge of Insurance Medicine and Life Insurance, Clinical Medicine and Human Pathology
- Must be adaptable and able to quickly understand insurance medicine and how its focus differs from clinical medicine and research.
- Extensive industry knowledge of medical underwriting and claim adjudication
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to actively monitor and review changing medical science with an ability to recognize its applicability to insurance medicine.
- Strong background in technical and medical research with technical writing skills.
- The ability to work as part of a small team, both in a leadership role and as a contributing member is critical.
- Creative problem solving skills.
- Flexibility of thought and openness to new ideas.
- The ability to motivate and maintain a positive work environment is vital.
- Strong mathematical acumen and a basic understanding of Insurance Pricing and Underwriting.
- Statistical analysis skills and a familiarity with statistical tools and research methodology
- As leader, able to delegate work, promote cooperation amongst the staff and resolve conflicts in a manner which encourages good work relations.
Personal Attributes and Cultural Fit:
- Inspires and motivates others.
- Role model of ethics and integrity who builds a culture of respect.
- Highly effective change agent who embraces change and leads change management.
- Provides courageous advice.
- Results oriented; highly focused on accountability.
- Ability to handle multiple partners
- Demonstrates a commitment to delivering excellent service balanced with appropriate risk management.
- Strategic perspective.
- Highly collaborative working style.